The Ashmore Group plc companies ("Ashmore", "we", "our", "us") aim to protect the privacy of prospective members of staff (“you”) as far as possible.
Ashmore Group plc has appointed Ashmore Investment Management (Ireland) Limited as its representative in the EU, in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation. If you would like to get in touch with us in relation to this privacy notice, contact details may be found for both Ashmore Group plc and Ashmore Investment Management (Ireland) Limited in the “Contact Us” section below.
This applicant privacy notice (the “Applicant Privacy Notice”) applies to you if you provide us with your personal information as part of the process of applying to work at Ashmore, whether that data is provided to us directly by you or by a third party recruitment company.
Applications to invest in Ashmore funds are subject to a separate privacy notice, which forms part of the application form. Ashmore employees are also subject to a separate privacy notice which may be found in the Employee Handbook, or requested from your HR contact.
We have detailed below the ways in which we will process your personal information. The Ashmore company in receipt of your personal information is what is known as a “data controller” in respect of any personal information it holds about you.
Ashmore will amend this Applicant Privacy Notice from time to time, and the current version is available from the Ashmore Group plc HR team. This privacy notice was last updated in October 2021.
Please direct any questions you may have about this Applicant Privacy Notice to Ashmore Group plc HR team.
How we obtain your information
In the process of applying to work at Ashmore, we collect information that personally identifies you.
The information we collect about you comes from:
- Curriculum vitae or resume, covering letters, application forms or other materials you submit to us during the course of your application to us; and
- Your interactions with us and other members of staff in the course of your application, including any communications with HR or Ashmore staff who may interview you.
The information we hold
The types of personal information about you that we hold will be that provided by you to us, it may include:
- your name, title, date of birth, gender and contact details;
- information from your CV;
- medical or disability information where necessary to ensure we can accommodate your needs;
- where you submit a work permit application, your marital status, immigration history, criminal convictions and passport details;
- where required by the Senior Managers and Certification Regime, information about your fitness and propriety for the role; and
- other information you provide to us in the course of your application to us.
Ashmore needs to process this information to carry out recruitment and the ongoing management and administration of its staff and our employment contracts with staff. You are not obliged to provide us with your information where it is requested, but we may be unable to hire or retain you if you do not provide certain information when requested. Where this is the case, we will make you aware.
Our use of your information
We collect, use, share and store information about you for legal, administrative, personnel and management purposes.
When processing your information, we do so in our legitimate interests (as set out in the bullet points below), for the performance of our contract with you or pursuant to legal or regulatory obligations that we are subject to.
We use your information for the purposes of the following legitimate interests:
- assessing your suitability for an advertised position;
- letting you know about job opportunities you may be interested in;
- controlling access to Ashmore’s office buildings;
- in connection with Ashmore’s internal management and reporting; and
- to facilitate our internal business operations, including assessing and managing risk and fulfilling our legal and regulatory requirements.
Where we process “special categories” of information about you (such as information about your health, race or sexual orientation), we do so either because you have given us your explicit consent, we are permitted or required by law to do so or the processing is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal claim.
Should we wish to use your personal information for other specific purposes (including, if applicable, any purpose that requires your consent), we will contact you.
How we share your information
We share certain information within the Ashmore Group, with our third party partners, business associates and subcontractors, and with other third parties for the purposes set out in this Applicant Privacy Notice.
Such third parties include:
- HireRight – to commence the pre-employment screening process;
- Newland Chase, Tricor and Emigra – to enable the submission of employee work permits to the relevant authorities on behalf of Ashmore;
- SIRVA – to initiate relocation services where employees are relocating; and
- 61 Aldwych Building Management – to control access to the building.
All such companies are required to maintain the confidentiality of such information to the extent they receive it.
In addition, we may share information with a potential buyer, transferee, or merger partner or seller and their advisers in connection with any actual or potential transfer or merger of part or all of Ashmore’s business or assets, or any associated rights or interests, or to acquire a business or enter into a merger with it.
We also disclose your personal information or any portions thereof as required or requested by, or as we determine is necessary or desirable to comply with, applicable law, regulation, court process or other statutory requirement, and regulatory, supervisory or governmental authorities.
Where we share your information, we require those receiving it to put in place security and confidentiality measures to protect it.
How we transfer your information
We use cloud-based technologies and do business in a global marketplace.
Like many international organisations, we may transfer your information to locations outside the UK or the European Economic Area (the “EEA”), as relevant. These locations include: the US, Colombia, Japan, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia and the UAE. Some of these countries may have lower standards of data protection than in your home country, and not all countries outside of the UK or the EEA have data protection laws that are similar to those in the UK or the EEA, so they may not be regarded by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of data protection. Where we transfer your information outside of the UK or the EEA, we will ensure that the transfer is subject to appropriate safeguards in accordance with data protection laws. Often, these safeguards include contractual safeguards. Please do contact Ashmore Group plc HR Team if you would like more information about these safeguards.
Retention of information
We will hold your personal information on our systems for the longest of the following periods:
- two years;
- as long as is necessary for the relevant activity or as long as is set out in any relevant agreement you enter into with us;
- the length of time it is reasonable to keep records to demonstrate compliance with professional or legal obligations;
- any retention period that is required by law; or
- the end of the period in which litigation or investigations might arise in respect of the services that we provide to you.
You may have the following rights under data protection law in the UK or the EEA:
- Right to object: The right to object to the use of your information, including the right to object to marketing.
- Right of subject access: The right to make a written request for details of information about you held by Ashmore and a copy of that information.
- Right to rectification: The right to have inaccurate information about you rectified.
- Right to erasure ('right to be forgotten'): The right to have certain information about you erased.
- Right to restriction of processing: The right to request that your information is only used for restricted purposes.
- Right to data portability: The right, in certain circumstances, to ask for information you have made available to us to be transferred to you or a third party in machine-readable format.
- Right to withdraw consent: The right to withdraw any consent you have previously given us to handle your information. If you withdraw your consent, this will not affect the lawfulness of Ashmore’s use of your information prior to the withdrawal of your consent.
These rights are not absolute: they do not always apply and exemptions may be engaged. We may, in response to a request, ask you to verify your identity and to provide information that helps us to understand your request better. If we do not comply with your request, we will explain why.
To exercise any of these rights, or if you have any other questions about our use of your information, please contact the Ashmore Group plc HR Team.
If you are unhappy with the way we have handled your information you may have a right to complain to the data protection supervisory authority in the UK or EU Member State where you live or work, or where you think a breach of your personal information has taken place.
- In the UK, your local data protection supervisory authority is the Information Commissioner. The website is available at https://ico.org.uk
- In Ireland, your local data protection supervisory authority is the Data Protection Commission. Their website is available at https://www.dataprotection.ie
Ashmore takes the protection of your personal information seriously, and has security measures and policies in place to address this.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or our privacy related practices, you can get in touch with the Ashmore Group plc HR Team using the contact details below:
Ashmore Group plc
- at the following address: Ashmore Group plc, 61 Aldwych, London WC2B 4AE, UK.
- by email at: AshmoreCorporate@ashmoregroup.com
- by phone at: +44 20 3077 6000.
Ashmore Investment Management (Ireland) Limited
- at the following address: 32 Molesworth Street, Dublin 2, D02 Y512, Ireland.
- by email at: AshmoreCorporate@ashmoregroup.com
- by phone at: +353 1588 1300.